Friday, November 02, 2012

Frankenstorm, not so scary after all

We got a trick on our Halloween. While it was windy and rainy, it was no worse than any other fall storm. It has rained here for over a week now. Frankly I am over it. Northwestern PA did not get the impact of the storm like folks did in NJ and NYC. My heart is aching for those people. Most without electricity, heat, and food running low, it is becoming a more desperate situation every day. Many of them have not prepared for such a huge disaster. With gas impossible to find at this point, and no way to generate electricity, they are living off the grid and they have no idea how long it will be before they are back up.

I feel this was a lesson well learned for all of us. We take for granted the TV being on, the ability to flush a toilet, popping something in the microwave. When it is all gone how to do we get by, semi-comfortably? Part of our move out here was to prepare. To prepare for anything, weather related disasters, economic collapse, a Mayan calendar prediction, rapture, whatever it may be. I do not feel prepared right now and that frightens me.  I am looking forward to spring (unless the Mayans were right, then we are doomed) so I can have a huge garden, buy my chickens, find my maples for next winter, stock my pond, and other preps to get my homestead on track. I think it is vital to have your own food supply and to be aware that this grid is temporary and go away at any minute. It is my job as the home maker to insure we have ample supplies to get by if need be.

Our prayers are with all of those who were affected by this storm. I hope you are all safe and help is on its way to help your families. May you gain wisdom from this terrible event and realize those of us who prepare are not crazy, we are wise to the fact you cannot trust mother nature, you never know when she will send one of her storms your way.  Blessings!


No comments: